Monday, September 12, 2016

Sr. Wilma

Sisters Elizabeth, Amy Joy, Dorothy and Wilma
Sister Wilma lived in Cupar, Saskatchewan until age eight when the family moved to Mossomin and
then Yorkton, where she completed her schooling. She knew SSJD had a school in Regina because “Mom was an Associate and wore her cross on Sundays”. She recalls seeing “three Sisters walking across the Qu’Appelle Diocesan School (QDS) grounds when visiting the Diocesan office with her father, an Anglican priest.

Later, Sr. Wilma worked in Yorkton, Calgary and Moose Jaw before joining the Bank of Montreal in Regina. While there she became involved in the Anglican Young People’s Association (AYPA) at St. Paul’s Cathedral and also came to know Sr. Audrey at QDS. “I had no sense whatever of becoming one of them.”

Although she appreciated and valued the background from which she came, she said it was chiefly through the Community that her growth and development was challenged, and often pushed beyond what she thought she could do. “My almost 25 years in the bursar’s office may not have been that different from my four years in the bank, but I learned that all work is of equal value if done to the glory of God.

My 17 years in the Church Home were truly valued years and gave me the opportunity to grow in love and concern for others – the privilege of sharing in so many lives. My brief year at the Priory in Edmonton gave me a tiny glimpse of what it would be like to work with the poor and marginalized – my deep desire for as long as I can remember. In the 12 years I spend at St. John’s Rehab Hospital, I experienced a different aspect of care than at Cana Place. I presently have a variety of activities which I enjoy and which continue to interest and challenge me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment